Thursday, November 29, 2007

Back to full production

Boy is it good to have the holiday over and be back producing. I have the full crew here today and are busy mixing flour, pre mixing everything and are ready to make 4000 quarts of peanut butter cookies.
I'm not sure how many of you have worked around a bakery but it is indeed a fun place to be. I have people who arrive at work all nice and neat and within the hour they are covered in flour and smiling all the while.
We take great strides to make sure ours is a workplace that is spotless and of course gluten free. I do not allow any food on the production floor and when the team takes a lunch break they are directed to take off their aprons and hang them in a secure area, not to be put back on while in the break room, but only when they are heading back to the production floor.
The facility is 20,000 sf with high ceilings. It is too large for our current needs, but it does allow us the ability to grow. And grow is what we are doing. Every week brings new stores and we are continually opening new areas of North America.
In addition to the production area we also have a freezer the is around 45,000 cf. When we first had it erected I thought we would never be able to use all that space. However last month, just before sending out a large shipment, I was amazed to see that our floor space was 80% utilized and was considering adding a racking system.
On a personal note, my 1996 Mercury Mountaineer is about ready to give it up. It is pushing 180,000 miles and I am afraid it will not last much longer. After some cursory investigation I decided it was time to bite the bullet and spring for new wheels. So this afternoon I will take delivery of a new 2007 Hyundai Sante Fe.
From what I have read, Hyundai is producing one of the better quality vehicles and their prices are way below most of the competition. Time will tell if this was a good decision.
Have a great day. TTYL

2 comments:

Glutenfreeda said...

shoulda sprung for a Toureg, TB!

Glutenfreeda said...

why not a Ford Exploder??? - TS