Monday, December 10, 2007

Broken finger

Well it's been a few days since the last update, but I have a good excuse. Last week while working in the plant I broke a finger on my right hand. If my typing is not so good that is the reason.
Here's the story. The day was going along fine. We were working on production for our Peanut Envy and the day was progressing on plan. Then we ran into some dry product that caused the dough to clog the cookie depositor. Now if you've never seen one of these machines operate, it is a marvel. The dough is mixed in a 140 quart Hobart mixer and wheeled into the warm room (a room we keep temperature controlled so the dough stays above 70 degrees). It is then placed in a hopper that feeds two grooved rollers that grab the dough and pull it down into dies cut to the right size. A wire cutter then moves forward and slices off the appropriate amount of dough and drops it onto a cookie sheet. There are a pre determined number of rows (programmable) per sheet. The operator then takes the sheet and places it on a rolling rack (stacked 20 high) and it is taken to the freezer.
Anyway, the dough was coming out dry and it was not allowing the wheels to grab it. So we had to make some adjustments for this. It is something that has happened before and we have a fix. However we lost a batch (140 quarts) due to the problem. Before discarding the dough I thought we would experiement to see if in the future we could save the product. So we wheeled the dough back to the mixer and my floor manager got it ready to remix. She doesn't run the Hobart often and forgot to secure the bowl. I was standing in front of the machine when she turned it on. As the beater turned it started to lift the bowl which in turn pushed on the safety shield. I saw it was going to break the shield and put my hand on it to keep it from breaking. At that moment the bowl lifted above where my hand was and three of my fingers where caught between the bowl and the shield. It hurt, but I thought it was not serious.
After work the third finger on my right hand was very swollen and the cut looked like it needed more than a bandage. So I went to the hospital and had it checked. Sure enough before I left it was discovered that I had broken the finger and I had 4 stitches in the cut. So now I have 4 to 6 weeks of wearing a finger splint. And this a couple of weeks before a trip to Colorado and some skiing. Bummer.
On the good side, Yvonne and I went to Seattle on Friday and saw "The Jersey Boys". Excellent show, especially if you are a fan of the Four Seasons. I grew up with that group and found the show and the music extremely entertaining. Had a nice time in Seattle on Saturday. I have wanted to go to the Experience Music Project for years and we finally made it. Wasn't overly impressed. They do have a Sci-fi exhibit that was interesting and there were parts of the music history section that were well done.
Back at work today getting ready to send the first order out to Canada. We are getting the containers ready (all new labeling for Canada). The order should be ready to go by Friday.
Hope you are all enjoying the holidays.
TTYL

No comments: