Monday, March 10, 2008

A gluten free spring and white salmon

I must apologize for not posting sooner, but I still haven't decided whether anyone cares if I spend my time doing this or not.
Spring looks to be here. Finally!! The daffodils are about to burst into bloom and I have been spending time working in the yard and garden.
You know this is the time of year when you need to do you planning for a healthy, gluten free summer. Onions, peas, and other hearty vegetables should be in the ground. All are gluten free and very tasty, much better than what you pick up at the supermarket. Follow these with other garden fare and you are in for a delicious six to eight months, not to mention the health benefits of getting outdoors and doing some gardening.
I am sure most of you are aware that the wife and daughter are avid chefs and they spend a considerable amount of time working up recipes that take advantage of the seasonal gifts delivered to the garden. If you keep watch at Glutenfreeda.com you will see an enormous assortment of dinner, lunch and breakfast treats.
I am the one who does most of the gardening (short of the daily watering that Yvonne handles). It is up to me to turn the soil, work in the composted horse manure (of which we have an ample supply) and in general get this ready for the growing season. This year is destined to be our best as Yvonne's mother is joining us for the summer and she has plans to visit the garden on a daily basis. My experience shows that fifteen to twenty minutes a day is more than enough to keep a garden in top notch shape. Pull those pesky little weeds often and soon there are none. Of course we have to deal with mass quantities of deer who love to snack on our labor. If I can find the time I will fence the garden area this year.
I am really jazzed about having chickens again. We went out and purchased 18 chicks and are raising them. They started in the garage and have feathered out enough to move into a small building next to the house. I am working on enclosing the chicken coup and run so in a few weeks they will move down to the barn and be given free range of a sizeable area. The are so cute when they are small. We purchased six different kinds of birds (three each). So far we have lost one to a birth defect (believe this, Yvonne took it to a Vet and had it examined and then euthanized). So come August you may start seeing lots of recipes using eggs. And the eggs are like nothing you have ever tasted before. Dark orange yolks and a flavor that is out of this world. I have sorely missed having them.
BTW have you ever tried white salmon? I had not heard of it before and our neighbor who runs a smoked salmon business (Cannery Row) gave me some. When we went to the beach we made a delicious meal of part of it and when we returned to the island we went to some friends and baked up the rest. I was surprised to find it flakey (almost like halibut) but flavorful. I am a convert. It is wild Alaska and line caught. I recommend it to you. I'm not sure whether Yvonne added it to http://www.glutenfreeda.com/ or not.
We are back into full production again and are hard pressed to make another deadline for a big order. Couple that with the big Anaheim, CA natural food show coming up this weekend and it all makes for some busy days. If I get a chance I'll post again before flying out, otherwise see you after the show.
TTYL

No comments: