Monday, February 4, 2008

Gaining weight while gluten free

Hey what's the story here? I have been going mostly gluten free for quite a while now and I was hopeful that some weight may shed from this "Oh you're not obese" body. But noooo! Instead I am still fighting the weight problem.

Now I'm not exceedingly overweight. I'm 6'2" and top the scales at 225. Ideally I would be around 190, but I haven't seen under 200 in decades (yeah I'm no spring chicken either). I have successfully tried the Atkins diet twice. Both times I knocked off 20 plus pounds and they stayed off for more than a year each time. This time it isn't working.

Maybe its being around cookies all day. I don't indulge often, but when we bake them up I often can't resist, but never more than one a day (okay occassionally two).

I am in a weight loss contest that I initiated in November. We need to lose 25 pounds by the end of Febraury. In past times that would have been a shoe in. This time it is just not coming off. I have less than 4 weeks and have lost only 5 pounds. Now 10 days ago I had that number down to 12 to 13 pounds, but Yvonne and I spent most of those days together and she is one who believes in 3 squares a day. For me 3 squares equals one big round (all around my middle).

You know many think that going gluten free is going to give them an Atkins like result. The truth is gluten free does not mean calorie or fat free. Gourmet is gourmet, whether you add grain or not.

So what is the answer? I know you're going to say, eat less, exercise more and keep the stress down. Well I can eat less, if I have to cook for myself on the boat (it's tough in a one butt kitchen that is usually sitting at a 30 degree angle). I can exercise more, but only if I want to go to the club after 11 hours at the plant (and that cuts into my cigar time), and as for stress, try starting a new food company, living away from home 4 days a week, away from the wife and pets and not enjoy a modicum of stress.

So I guess the time has come to go naturally gluten free. Nothing will pass these robust lips except seafood, vegetables and the occassional Real Cookie (its work related).

If you find yourself in need of shedding a few inches, don't think that going gluten free is the panacea, even gluten free you will have to watch what you eat.

On a different subject, Yvonne and I do not get television. It's been over 6 years now since we received a signal at the house (or boat). But we do watch a lot of DVD's. I understand that Lost began season four this week. So in celebration we are starting to rewatch season 1 and 2. Surprisingly I have forgotten much of what went on way back then and I hope to be back on top of things by the time I purchase season 3. If you're a fan, keep me posted on any new happenings.

TTYL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting -- my GI told me that I would also gain weight but it never happened to me since I was diagnosed three years ago. Its hard for me to maintain weight - most people say I look good but a little slender - maybe a complement! Mostly I lost interest in eating and I avoid the GF pastries which are just loaded with sugar. SO maybe avoiding that type of food and some regular exercise ( I work out three to four times a week) will do the trick for you. PS my only saving grace is drinking single malt scotches (distilled so its ok). Good luck